A legally binding policy statement prepared for the purposes of being made available by an Agency to the clients and the general public declaring the Agency's compliance to and commitment to the
<Agency> is an “agency” under 6(i) of the Privacy Act 1988
- Agency means:
- a Minister; or
- a Department; or
- a body (whether incorporated or not), or a tribunal, established or appointed for a public purpose by or under a Commonwealth enactment, not being:
- an incorporated company, society or association; or
- an organisation that is registered under the Fair Work (Registered Organisations) Act 2009 or a branch of such an organisation; or
- a body established or appointed by the Governor‑General, or by a Minister, otherwise than by or under a Commonwealth enactment; or
- a person holding or performing the duties of an office established by or under, or an appointment made under, a Commonwealth enactment, other than a person who, by virtue of holding that office, is the Secretary of a Department; or
- a person holding or performing the duties of an appointment, being an appointment made by the Governor‑General, or by a Minister, otherwise than under a Commonwealth enactment; or
- a federal court; or
- the Australian Federal Police; or
- a Norfolk Island agency; or
- the nominated AGHS company; or
- an eligible hearing service provider; or
- the service operator under the Healthcare Identifiers Act 2010.
The declaration provides the old 17 private information protection principles governing compliance and the new detailed Australian Protection Principles (APP) made availabe in the Privacy Act from March 2015 onwards. We provide both to help you choose what the declaration should include and the appropriate level of explanation, appropriate to your reader. This declaration does not include Direct Marketing; nor does it include Biosecurity requirements (18 July 2015).
To get this declaration together you might find the APP Compliance Statement very useful.
Legally binding policy statement on Privacy for an Agency made available to clients and the general public.